Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chapter 1.4: Destruction of the Night, My Personal Demise

          When I came to the first thing I knew is that it was night. The second thing I knew was pain; an indescribable amount of pain. My whole body felt like it had been thrown on high heat and the longest setting on my dryer. My brain felt like it was loose and my whole body was just throbbing with each beat of my heart. The third thing I knew is that it was completely silent in my house and outside.
 



               I struggled into a sitting position, my head hanging near my chest. It hurt to just move my pinky finger and I was amazed I got into this position. I was almost naked and worse than that I was covered in blood and not a small amount of it. I was shaking fiercely. I had two deep puncture wounds in my upper inner thigh. I knew about wounds like this from an array of shows I watched and I knew they could kill you quickly. I grabbed whatever was closest to me, something black I later realized was the remnants of my favorite dress, and wrapped it around the puncture wounds tightly to try to stem the blood flow.
                The next thing that occurred to me was that no one was immediately visible. I dug around for my purse and found my phone still inside it and rapidly dialed 911.



                “911 What is your emergency?” Came the calm voice at the end of the line and I had trouble finding my voice. “Hello? Please respond if you can. I’ll have help on its way as soon as I can. Please hit a key on your phone if you’re incapable of speech.” I was not sobbing or even terrified at this point I just knew I needed help and that was the most important thing, “I’ve been attacked in my house. I-I need help. I just woke up... I… Please… Get someone here fast.” I managed to croak out.
                “Ma’am I’m going to need you to slow down. Where are you?”
                “I’m at home at 352-A Primrose in the Glover Apartments.” The shaking was subsiding. I resided myself to this now. I just wanted help to be here.
                “I’m sending help now, ma’am but stay on the line with me until they arrive. Is anyone still in the residence with you?”
                I went silent and dropped the phone as a new realization slammed into me. Where was Talon?



                “Talon!? Talon where are you!?” I could hear the operator calling me back to the phone but I ignored her. Whoever was coming was coming and I needed to find Talon. My leg throbbed at the blood loss every move I made brought on but I had to find him if he was still here. I stumbled around my apartment feeling my way in the blackness.
                Then I tripped as I entered my bedroom and a moan issued from somewhere near my left.
                “Talon?! Talon answer me!” I fumbled for the light on the wall, undoubtedly dragging blood along it as I went. When the light finally came on and I saw him I knew, whatever had happened, I had gotten off easy.
                Talon was barely alive. His throat was a dark red mess. He was shirtless and I found what was left of it nearby and wrapped it around his neck, desperately trying to save his life as he grunted and groaned at me.



                “No. Don’t try to talk, Talon. Please. Please don’t try to talk. Stay with me. Talon you have to stay with me. Remember? Remember what we talked about?? At the club..?” He nodded feebly and the white portion of his shirt faded to deep red in a matter of seconds.
                “Natty…” he barely whispered and reached for my face and I lifted him up slightly without a second thought and clenched his hand. Where we the damned cops!? The ambulance… I screamed loudly enough so the operator on the other end of the line could hear me that we needed medical help and that I wasn’t alone.
                “Natty… I…” he was breathing it out, struggling to say this and to live. Blood bubbled over his lips.



                “Just stop talking Talon, please…” My eyes brimmed over with tears as I felt his grip weaken, “Talon you need to stay with me. You can’t leave me like everyone else… Fight it, Talon. Stay with me... Talon, I love you, please, please stay with me… I’ll say it until you make me shut up. I swear.” I tried to crack a smile but I felt the tears falling and I started shaking as the reality of everything was beginning to settle in. He tried to do his signature grin and then faltered as he tried to continue to speak.
                “Natty… I’m so sorry… I… I lov-.” And then his body went limp, his eyes widened with death and I just stared down at him. “T-Talon… Breathe... Please... Move...” I shook him as the door to my apartment was broken down and then I screamed like I had never screamed before in my life.

Even as the police and paramedics came towards me to save what was left of my life..


I screamed until my world went black.

2 comments: